Subscribe by Email

A new update on the Al-Mutanabbi Street project

Allowing for minor editorial interventions, the composition stage for my chapbook / artist's book Muses Walk has been completed. Sixteen new poems are, for better or for worse, written; I've also taken many photographs, some of which will contribute its visual element. I've now moved on to working out the design, before tackling production/printing issues.

In addition to being a response to the bombing of Al-Mutanabbi Street (it was conceived as such, with the concept behind it discussed elsewhere) I view Muses Walk, which will be home-made and self-produced, as a sort of coda to Spitting Out the Mother Tongue - and the completion, at least for the time being, of my treatment of the conditions I grew up with and their implications. And though I'm only required to contribute three copies to the project (to be delivered by the end of March 2012) I intend to make 50 numbered copies of the book, with the rest made available for purchase at readings etc.

*

I'm currently in the process of putting together a reading/event in Dublin to mark the 5th anniversary of the bombing of Al-Mutanabbi Street, on 5 March. Time and venue are confirmed, as are most of the participants. I'll be posting more on this next month.

*

Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here, an anthology of texts responding to the bombing, will be published by PM Press in June. It's edited by Beau Beausoleil and Deema Shehabi, and is now available to pre-order from the publisher's website.

*

Below is a video recording of a panel discussion on Al-Mutanabbi Street at Santa Cruz public library. It's introduced by Beau Beausoleil, who outlines quite comprehensively his reasons for initiating and curating these projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

European Poetry Festival (Ireland) 2024

sorry that you were not moved (Fallow Media, 2022)

'Capital' at Irish Museum of Modern Art