Subscribe by Email

gorse editorial

I was honoured and delighted to receive an invitation from Susan Tomaselli to join gorse as poetry editor - an invitation I wasted no time in accepting. As I'd written elsewhere, I consider gorse a unique and refreshing presence in the Irish literary landscape, with an outlook, temperament and set of interests that resonate deeply with mine. Getting the chance to contribute to it in an editorial capacity and to work towards strengthening the considerable impact it has already made in just two issues is a hugely exciting challenge, full of possibilities.

It's hard to specify what kind of poetry I'm looking for, because above all I want to publish poetry I didn't know I was looking for. Likely to interest me, though, is writing that plays with boundaries of form, language and genre, that's aware of social, political, technological and cultural developments, that's interrogative and outward-looking, conceptually-rigorous and witty.

We are beginning to work towards issues 4 and 5, due out in September 2015 and February 2016 - submissions are now open and will remain open until 20 February. Issue 3, another top notch collection of essays, interviews, fiction and poetry from writers based in Ireland and elsewhere, will be out in March. For regular updates on all things gorse you can subscribe to the email newsletter. I will also be posting major news and announcements on this site.

Below is a short video with edited extracts from the launch of issue 2, which took place at The Library Project in Temple Bar on Wednesday 19 November 2014. Susan also posted an account of the event, including her introductory speech.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Listen and Surprise' for Poetry Day Ireland 2018

some mark made

'Capital' at Irish Museum of Modern Art